Ag Innovation and Entrepreneurship Certificate Program
Center for Teaching, Learning, and Extended Studies
The focus of the program is to provide each student with the opportunity to develop entrepreneurship and innovation skills through problem solving, creativity, working with a team and practicing effective strategies to turn ideas into action.
Through courses and experiential activities, students will learn how to put their creativity to work in the development of products, technologies and services that create value.
As a participant in SC State’s Ag Innovation Certificate program, students will:
- Learn how to identify, evaluate and develop new venture opportunities
- Develop viable business models through market research and financial analyses
- Acquire the business literacy and professional skills to become successful innovators and entrepreneurs in the food and fiber sector.
The program is administered through the Center for Teaching, Learning, and Extended Studies and supported by the Innovation and Entrepreneurship Hub in the School of Business, which is governed by an advisory committee consisting of faculty and successful entrepreneurs and professionals. Classes meet in the evenings and on weekends all suited to your busy schedule.
The Ag Innovation and Entrepreneurship Certificate is a 6-week program covering the following topics.
- Innovation and Creativity
- Agribusiness Enterprise Development
- Agribusiness Marketing and Price
- New Venture, Finance, and Management
- New Product Development
The Ag Certificate in Innovation and Entrepreneurship Program through the Center for Teaching, Learning, and Extended Studies is a non-degree program that is open to participants with a high school diploma and an interest in entrepreneurship. Students must complete the entire program to receive the certificate.
Cost for the entire certificate program is $2,400. Payments can be made in installments. There are a limited number of scholarships available. Please contact the School of Business for scholarship information.
October 4 – November 10, Meeting on Thursdays from 5:30pm – 8:00 pm and Saturdays from 9:00am – 12:00pm
Follow the steps below to register for the Ag Innovation Certificate Program:
1. Complete the online registration form.
2. Once you have completed the online registration form, download and complete the Continuing Education Fee Payment form. Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view the fee payment form.
3. Enclose payment, along with the Continuing Education Fee Payment form and mail or pay in person as directed on the fee payment form.
For information regarding time and location of classes please, call the School of Business, Innovation and Entrepreneurship Hub at (803) 536-7096 or (803) 536-8980.
Barbara L. Adams, Ph.D., CPA, Professor of Accounting
Adams has more than 35 yrs. experience in academia in the area of accounting, as well as professional experience in public accounting as an expert witness and as a consultant to various small businesses, non-profits, and governmental agencies. She is currently the Principal Investigator of an Innovation and Entrepreneurship grant funded by the U. S. Department of Agriculture.
Renu Singh, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Marketing
Singh’s expertise is in the area of marketing, and has been at the University since 2005. She is the Principal Investigator of a digital marketing grant and the Co-PI on the Innovation and Entrepreneurship grant.
Zachary Thomas, MBA, Program Director, Innovation and Entrepreneurship Hub
Thomas develops and manage activities in the Innovation and Entrepreneurship Hub which include workshops, entrepreneurship competitions and the incubator program.